Thursday, July 5, 2007

30 Rocks!

I got on board the “30 Rock” train fairly late in the season as I’d decided early on that if I was going to throw my hat into the ring for one new NBC show based on the inner-workings of a fictional late night comedy/variety show it was gonna be the one where Aaron Sorkin gets revenge on various ex-girlfriends, media analysts, critics and network heads. Whoops.

Thankfully NBC has been re-airing the entire first season all summer, and blessed be me, they started at the beginning. The show admittedly was a bit rough early one but it grew in confidence, clarity and silliness as it went along until by the time the first season wrapped up in May it was far and away the best comedy on television and a true heir to the crown vacated by “Arrested Development.”

For your enjoyment I now reproduce the worst Dear Jane letter in history as read by the very talented Dean Winters from last night’s new (to me) episode.

“Dear Liz Lemon:

While other women have bigger boobs than you, no other woman has as big a heart. When I saw you getting ready to go out and get nailed by a bunch of guys last night, I knew for sure it was over between us, and for the first time since the ‘86 World Series, I cried… I cried like a big, dumb homo. And if it was up to me, we’d be together forever. But there’s a new thing called “women’s liberation”, which gives you women the right to choose and you have chosen to abort me, and that I must live with. So tonight, when you arrive home, I’ll be gone. I officially renounce my squatter’s rights.”

Where I come from, they call that brilliant.

No comments: